Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Top 5 cds from 2005

I think I'm doing this primarily so that at the end of this year I'll have a reference - so here you go (click on the cd name to go to the album and click on emusic to sign up)
  • Adam Richman - Patience and Silence (found at eMusic) - This is one of the best power-pop cd's I've heard in years. Check out songs such as "Warsaw" and "Baby I've Changed"
  • Aimee Mann - The Forgotten Arm - Aimee as great as she always is but this time a concept cd. Listen for the songs "Video" and "Going through the motions"
  • David Mead - Wherever you Are (found at eMusic) - Sounds more like Mead's cd Mine and Yours from 2001 rather than last years Indiana and that suits me fine. I like the subtle pop moreso than the country crooner thing. Apparently this cd should have been released a couple years ago - it's only six songs, but they're all great.
  • Kathleen Edwards - Back to Me - Edward's lyrics are up there with Rilo Kiley in their intelligence and wit. I wish more people would listen to her.
  • Sleater-Kinney - The Woods - Also the best concert I've seen this year. Just amazing musicians and a visceral sound.
Other honorable mentions would be Spoon - Gimme Fiction and Decemberists - Picaresque both of which can be found at eMusic as well as Coldplay's X&Y

No comments: