Thursday, June 02, 2005

REVIEW: Sleater-Kinney - The Woods

I just got the Sleater-Kinney cd The Woods (Sup-Pop) today and it is all I thought it would be. This is not a band that is going to be played on the radio (especially these days). They can be discordant and I think they like that. If you give them a shot...

About the cd - first off drummer Janet Weiss is the best drummer in modern rock. Tell me who's better. I know that Carrie Brownstein's vocals can be harsh - but it works - I don't think she's ever sounded better. This album is noisy and jarring but fun to listen to. It is so far the best cd I've heard this year. I was a bit afraid when I heard that SK was going in a different direction, but I see it as evolution as opposed to decomposition.

Go get this cd.

Listen to Sleater-Kinney on iTunes
icon

2 comments:

Merujo said...

I've never heard any of their stuff. Can you make a recommendation where I should start?

Spencer said...

Good question - I would recommend either One Beat or All Hands on the Bad One. If you're a member of eMusic, all can be found there.

Sleater-Kinney's on eMusic