Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Strong recommendations from June

Alright here are my thoughts on the cd's I've been listening to this month....

The best of the month
  1. The Woods - Sleater-Kinney - Click Here for a review I wrote earlier this month
  2. Patience and Silence - Adam Richman (found on eMusic). This is a great power pop cd. I felt a little dissappointed in the Jim Boggia and Brendan Benson efforts, but Richman's cd does best what those cd's couldn't.
  3. X&Y - Coldplay - It generally takes me awhile with their cds and this one is no different. The reviews have varied wildly. I guess my inital thoughts is that it sounds like a Coldplay cd - which is good and bad. The cd is insanely listenable - great tunes like "Fix Me", "Square One", and "Speed of Sound" are classic Coldplay. But there are so many bands doing the Coldplay thing right now - even the standard bearer can sound a bit stale. I think this is why bands such as Radiohead with Kid A and Amnesiac, U2 with Zooropa and Pop, and REM with Monster have at times changed their sound dramatically at times - in order to leave the followers behind.
Dissappointment of the month...
  • Blinking Lights and Other Revelations - Eels. I didn't like this album when Beck did it with Sea Change. (found on eMusic)

Jury still out on...
  1. Face the Truth - Stephen Malkmus (found on eMusic)
  2. Man-Made - Teenage Fanclub (found on eMusic)
  3. Don't Believe the Truth - Oasis

No comments: