Wednesday, June 07, 2006

What happens when politics get in the way

I've been meaning to post about the bill that was defeated today trying to pass a constitutional amendment on marriage. I don't even want to talk about the validity of this, although I wonder all the time why conservatives are so worried about what other people do in their bedrooms? I mean isn't the over 50% divorce rate or all the fatherless children growing up more of a threat to the American family? I digress.

My complaint today is - isn't there something else more important for Congress to be thinking about? We're in Iraq with no end in sight. Some of our soldiers are being accused of atrocities. There's a nuclear standoff with Iran. A major terror threat in Canada. Yet our Republican leaders have chosen this as their primary subject this week. George Bush even used his weekly radio address to push for this on Saturday.

Why can't we have a government where the debate is about things that matter? I don't mean to say that gay marriage is something that doesn't matter. I honestly think if you're lucky enough to find someone you want to spend the rest of your life with, you should be allowed to do so legally regardless of gender. My issue is that we need to prioritize and focus. This bill was never going to pass. The only reason it was even put up for a vote was so that the conservative base could be energies. As if bigots need to be reminded they're bigots.

Every day another reminder that we need to be rid of the current administration.

Technorati tags:
, , ,

1 comment:

radiocynic said...

Of so many issues that boggle my mind, I really don't get this one.

How, in any way, could a marriage between gay people detract from or affect the solidarity and validity of my straight marriage? (Or yours?!)

How did the far right get so amazingly frightened of gay people? I was under the impression that most of the far right stereotyped most gay men as "pansies" or some damn fool thing, so given that, why would they be so scared?

Oh, maybe that's it... after being granted the supernatural power of marriage, a bunch of superhero lesbian couples might come beat them up.